Monday, October 15, 2007

No....No, No, No, No.... No.....No....

"Can I have a cookie?" "NO". "Can I play on a safe, fun website?" "NO". "Can I help you make that?". "NO, NO, NO". "Can I watch you get ready?" "No, leave me be..."

A few years later.....

"Would you help me make dinner?" "No, mom".
"Do you want to go to the store with me?" "No, thanks"
"Do you want a cookie?" "Thanks mom, See ya!..."

My desire is to draw them close. My goal is to keep them near to teach them and raise them up. My hope is to build a foundation for a lifelong close relationship.

But are my daily words and techniques going to be successful in achieving my goal?

I fear the answer is "no". If the predominent message my children hear is "no", "no don't", "no, get out", "no, not now".... well you get the point.....

What am I doing? Why can't I just draw them near. Rather than feeling frustrated towards them, their noise, their messes and their childish ways.

Lord, help me. Help me soak in the moments of today with a smile on my lips and a song in my heart.

The other day I was reading my bible verse that sits on my windowsill. Psalm 100:1-2 "Make a joyful shout to the Lord, all you land! Serve the Lord with gladness; Come before His presence with singing". So I decided to give it a try. I let out a loud "whoop". The kids responded with an equally joyful "whooop". And then I read them the verse.

My kids are ready and willing to follow my lead. Whatever the direction may be. Kindness, love, joy and thanks. Or frustration, irritation, and silent retreat.

Lord I need You! Go before me and disciple my heart that I might follow your ways, your thoughts.

No comments: